~ we've decided on forever ~
Congratulations on your engagement! You must be so thrilled! This is a wonderful, exciting time in your life that should definitely be documented. It’s a time of hope and promise of the future.
My couples & engagement sessions are laid-back, fun and interactive, incorporating both candid interaction and romantic posing. I will work closely with you before our session to customize the experience as much as possible so that it best reflects you and the love that you share. Together we will choose the perfect theme and location. This session is designed to celebrate your unique love story. I look forward to capturing you two lovebirds! I will have specific recommendations and tips so your shoot can be the best it can be:
- Colors: solid monochromatic colors are easiest to coordinate, but primary or complementary colors also look great and bring energy to the photograph. Darker colors will cause the subject(s) to appear thinner while lighter colors will make the subjects appear larger. Dark pants or jeans with dark shoes give texture and visually anchor a portrait. When choosing color schemes, consider not only what looks best on you, but also what colors will look best on wall portraits and complement your home’s décor. However, I want you to wear clothing that showcases your personality. It’s all about styling and planning. The more time you invest in selecting a wardrobe for your photo shoot, the happier you will be with the results. Leaving the details to the last minute creates stress and takes the fun out of the day.
- Dress: as a general rule, wear solid colors, as stripes and patterns draw attention away from your face. Avoid wearing turtlenecks and large loose clothing, as these often make the neck seem nonexistent, and the body looks wider than it is. Shorts or capris have a tendency to make legs appear shorter than they are. One of my biggest tips for anyone who needs help dressing for their photoshoot is to wear clothing that moves. Flowy dresses that dance in the breeze or trail behind you when you walk photograph so beautifully. Silk blouses, skirts, trousers, & scarves are all great, too. But, if you and your fiancé really just like to hike & wear flannel everyday, then great! Bring a bunch of flannel shirts to your shoot & go nuts! The most important thing is that you two are comfortable.
- Make up: looking good on camera doesn’t require a makeup artist, but professional makeup help. Makeup tips for the camera include an array of corrective and dramatic effects as well as enhancing one’s natural appearance. The key is to consider that images are two -dimensional, so shadows and highlighted areas may need to be emphasized, de-emphasized or even simulated, for the best overall effect.
- Accessories: keep it to a minimum. Avoid hats, hair ornaments, and sparkly or costume jewelry unless it does not distract from the main subject, you.
- Footwear: avoid running shoes, white socks, and heavy footwear. Also, consider fashionable boots, sandals or bare feet for casual photos.
- Props: props are always a great way to help showcase your personality in your engagement photos. Feel free to bring props that are relevant to your relationship such as sports equipment, souvenirs from trips, etc.
- Keep moving: I prefer to let you interact with your partner naturally, but if you get stuck, I am happy to give you direction. Dance, jump, tickle, play! One of my favorite things about doing engagement shoots is that it gives my clients a chance to get professional photographs taken of them that aren't in a white dress or suit. Take the opportunity to let you personalities shine.
I'm sharing a few of those beautiful engagement days here. Each box is a highlight gallery to give you a glimpse of how I photograph such a wonderful day. Browse below to see my work, connect with the emotion of each engagement day, and get some ideas for your own celebration!
Family Photographer | Event Photographer | Maternity Photographer | Children Photographer | Lake County Photographer | Cook County Photographer | Buffalo Grove Photographer | Arlington Heights Photographer | Wheeling Photographer | Deerfield Photographer | Barrington Photographer | Schaumburg Photographer | Palatine Photographer | Highland Park Photographer | Northbrook Photographer | Chicago Photographer